Friday, June 24, 2011

On Finding a Cover Artist

One of the first things I need to do to get Wolfhound published is to find a cover artist willing to do a cover. Unfortunately, I seem to be running into difficulties.

First off, it seems like nobody can agree on what cover art should cost. I've seen prices run from a thousand dollars down to around two hundred. So I have a hard time deciding what to offer people without sounding like I am trying to rip them off.

Second, I want something that looks good. Not just on a book cover, but on a thumbnail. That's part of the problem with self publishing; most people are just going to see the cover as a tiny image on Amazon, not as a full cover. At the same time, the cover art is important because it is one of the first impressions people will have of my book, so I can't just skimp on it and count on it to do well.

Third, I suck at negotiation and networking. Both are kind of the bane of my existance, and finding a good cover artist for the right price seems to involve a bit of both. Sigh.

Right now Emily and I have been thinking of turning to Concept Artists, both for the quality of work and professionalism. I would love to have a hand drawn image of the Wolfhound on my first cover, but I am still wondering if it will turn out the way I hope, and how much it will cost. Only time will tell.

In any case, let me know if you have found some good contacts to help me out. I could use the help, believe me. See ya round!

No comments:

Post a Comment