Monday, March 14, 2011

On Failure

For some reason or other I dislike failing at things.

Seems kind of obvious right? It's not as if anybody particularly likes it when things go sideways, but I don't know if every body takes it quite as hard as I seem to. Perhaps it is because I have a bit of a perfectionist in me; I want everything I do to turn out exactly how I want it, and when it doesn't I'm devastated. Perhaps I just have a melodramatic personality, something that I could easily believe. Or maybe, perhaps, I just set my own expectations a little high when I try to plan out my life. In any case, it just goes crappy.

I'm not referring to the times when I do my best and its not good enough, by the way. I am talking more about the times when I let myself down, where I fail because I haven't been able to meet my own expectations, whether that be turning into the world's greatest doctor or rewriting a 100,000 word book in three weeks while holding down a full time job. In case you missed it, that was a reference to how well my rewrite of Wolfhound is currently going. I'm not really sure that I will be able to make the March 18th deadline I set for myself, or that the book will be ready when I am finished. There just seems to be more to do each time I sit down, and I don't seem to have enough time in the day.

But perhaps this failure is simply an opportunity to learn how to fail correctly. Perhaps I'll learn to pick myself up and continue working hard instead of growing fed up with myself. Or maybe I'll just fail at that too. :)

This post brought by the Cheerfulness Committee of Happiness and Light. Hope all goes well for you guys, and I will see you around!

1 comment:

  1. Sorry I haven't been able to help. I've been so busy myself with the webcomic that I barely have time for my own novel.

    Also, I used to have this same problem where I would consistently fail at my self-set goals. What's helped me was to realize that I had limits. If a miracle happened, yes, I could reach that goal, but realistically, that wasn't going to happen. I've learned to give myself leeyways and EXPECT myself to fail. This way, I could plain IN the failures and still be able to reach my goal (or at least get really close).

    Not sure if that'll help ya, but I thought I might as well as give ya the option of thinking about it :)

    Good luck with the rewrite!

    ReplyDelete